Sunday, February 3, 2013

Why is my pee Neon Yellow?


Vitamin B2, Riboflavin most times is responsible for the neon color in your urine.
As this vitamin goes through your system your body absorbs what it needs and excretes the remainder. One characteristic of Riboflavin is it's highlighter-like color.
Not to worry this is not bad. The bright color is an indication you are utilizing the vitamin properly.

In short, riboflavins help co-enzymes break down carbohydrates, fats and proteins. They also play a crucial role in detoxification and cellular energy production.  As flavins are utilized in the body to metabolize carbs, fats and protein they pass along flavin rings which have a neon yellow color. This does not indicate they are not used, in contrast it proves they are used appropriately. Vitamin B2, Riboflavin is known to be the only vitamin to cause NEON yellow urine.
(http://www.womentowomen.com/programs/hormonalimbalance/faqhormoneimbalance.aspx#16)

On the flip side...
If you have dark yellow to brown colored urine this is an indication of dehydration.  Your urine is over-concentrated with waste.  You should be drinking 64 ounces of water every day at minimum. If you are sweating due to workouts then you should be drinking closer to 80 ounces of water and include electrolytes. Once you get this amount into your system regularly you are not only helping the homestasis of your system but also changing the color of your pee. It will be more translucent due to your "new and improved" hydration.


Foods with Vitamin B2:
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-riboflavin-vitamin-B2.php

Riboflavin helps with:
migraine headaches, energy, boosting immune system function, preventing eye disorders, athletic performance, hair, nail and skin health.

Where you can get VitaminB (Vitamin B complex which includes B2-riboflavin):
http://isotonix.marketamerica.com/fititin/USA/Search/Product/2241

7 comments:

  1. Does it mean you are taking to much if you are losing some thru urination? I take the multi vitamin and opc-3 daily in the am, when do you recommend taking the b vitamin at the same time or later in the day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. D thanks for sharing the isotonix chart, but it looks like if you take the isotonix multi vitamin you get all the b vitamins you need, is that correct? Also reading the attached info states that depending on your diet you get additional b vitamins from the food you eat. Very interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing...I definitly see a difference in my energy and the ability to fight sickness...very interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this article, it made me curious to find out more. A few more facts that I found out.
    Alot of energy drinks that are on the market have had B vitamins added to help increase "energy".
    B vitamins are water soluble, so some of them will be excreted. It depends on the individuals use and metabolism.
    Athletes need more B's due to increased need for energy production.
    B vitamins are found in whole unprocessed foods....good sources are...whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting and informative! I always wondered why my urine was bright yellow!

    Rick...as an FYI, I take a B supplement, as we didnlt think I was gettig enough with just the regular multi. It has seemed to help with my energy levels throughout the day and post w/o.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that I am sick I guess it is time to start taking the B supplement again. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't take any vitamin supplements, yes I know I should. Especially since I have started working out more frequently, but why would I suddenly start to pee bright neon colors? My water intake has increased quite a bit could that be the reason? As far as diet I eat pretty normal just in smaller portions and a lot more raw veggies

    ReplyDelete